ALL THREE YEARS SEMESTER PATTERN
The department of Garment Technology is functioning since 1996. It is started with the aid of World Bank scheme to cater the needs of the emerging Garment Industries within Tamil Nadu as well as the whole part of the country. Having introduced in the prestigious institution of S.S.M Institute of Textile Technology and Polytechnic College, the department has achieved tremendous growth in its entire field. Initially the department was sanctioned with a student’s strength of 30 intakes and latter raised to the level of 45 and then 60 intakes owing to the extraordinary demand among stakeholders in this region.
CURRICULUM OUTLINE L - Scheme 2011 - 2012 batch onwards
|SEMESTER - I & II - Common to All Diploma Courses. For further details see First Year Syllabus
|SEMESTER - III - L - Scheme
- Fibre Science and Yarn Manufacture
- Fashion Designing
- Apparel Designing
- Fashion Designing Practical
- Embroidery Practical
- Apparel Designing Practical
- Computer Application Practical
|SEMESTER - IV - L - Scheme
- Home Textiles
- Technology of Fabric Manufacturer
- Clothing Machinery and Equipment
- Pattern Drafting & Construction - I
- Pattern Drafting - I Practical
- Garment Construction - I Practical
- Communication and Life Skills Practical
|SEMESTER - V - L - Scheme
- Textile Testing
- Textile Wet Processing
- Garment Pattern Drafting & Construction – II
- Apparel Merchandising
- Indian and Western Costumes
- Textile Testing & Wet Processing - Practical
- Pattern Drafting – II - Practical
- Garment Construction - II - Practical
|SEMESTER - VI - L - Scheme
- Textile Management
- Apparel Quality Control
- Apparel Production Planning & Control
- Fashion Draping
- Fashion & Garment CAD - Practical
- Advanced Pattern Drafting & Construction - Practical
- Fashion Draping - Practical
- Project Work
Having gained so much of experiences in studies, job oriented skills, managericial skills, our students obtain 100% placement even before they appear for final examination. Reputed industries like SP Apparels, Loyal textiles, Shahi exports, Intertek testing services, Conquest,Expoknits international, Exim knits, Eastman, Precot groups, SCM creations, Priyadharsani Exports, Rohini garments are few to mention who visit our campus for conducting interview. Presently our students are working in middle management level and the freshers are being recruited for the post of Supervisor, Fabric Co-ordinator, Quality Controller and Merchandiser etc. They also get employment in other countries like UAE, China, UK, Thailand etc.
This deparment is having good infrastructure facilities, well equipped laboratory, Latest industrial sewing machines, Finishing machines, Embroidery machines, Garment CAD software, Plain, Rib, interlock knitting Machines, Dummies and mannequins. The students are being given with real hands on training in all these machineries as part of their curriculum practical work. The student’s practical performances are evaluated through Board Examinations and Record Works. Apart from practical exposure, an in-depth study of Garment Technology theory is being imparted to the students from their 3rd semester of study onwards.
The students are sent for in-plant training for a period of 30 days during 4th semester vacation and for a period of 15 days during 5th semester vacation. We arrange regular industrial visit (2 per semester) and educational tours (3 days trip) to our students. Our students also have good knowledge in organizing seminars, conference, fashioshows, etc.
Achievements, Awards and Rewards
ACCREDITATION: - Our Department achieved NBA Accreditation for three years (June 2007 to May 2010).
MODERNIZATION – DEVELOPMENTS:
AICTE, New Delhi sanctioned Rs 12 Lakhs under MODROBS scheme for setting a Fashion Design Studio.
AICTE, New Delhi sanctioned Rs 2 Lakhs under Seminar Grant for "Contemporary Approach on Retail Visual Merchandising for Fashion Textiles" during the year 2012 - 2013.
1.Conducted AICTE – ISTE sponsored 10 days National seminar on “Garment Industry - Challenges and Opportunities Beyond – 2004” during August 2003.
2.Conducted one day Silver Jubilee Technical seminar on “Garment Manufacturing Technology”. during December 2005
3.“Training of the trainer” programme conducted for 23 numbers of tailoring teachers (from various districts of Tamilnadu) of Hand – in – hand, Tamilnadu, Chennai, during October 2008.
4.Conducted “Export Tailoring Techniques” course to tailors of Garment manufacturing industry, during September 2009.
5.Conducted Garment/Fashion oriented programme for the social upliftment of community through Canada India Institutional Cooperation Project (CIICP) and Community Development through Polytechnics.
6.conducted AICTE - SDP on Fashion Designing concepts of Techniques from 16/11/2009 to 28/11/2009.
7. Twice our department head co-ordinated with NITTTR chennai, in preparing curriculum for various trades in textiles during the year 2010 - 2011.
8. Prepared syllabus for ADD - ON courses in Textiles in the year 2009 - 2010.
9.Mr.G.S.Siva Kumar Lecturer (Sr.G)is doing his Ph.D in the field of Bio Degradation of Textile Effluents & its Re-use.
10. Mr. G.S.Siva Kumar Lecturer (Sr.G) attended 2 weeks AICTE program on"Modern Spinning Technology", "Modern Garment Technoloyg" at Bannari Amman Institute of Technology, Sathyamangalam.
11. Mr. G.S.Siva Kumar Lecturer (Sr.G) and Mr. R.Senthil Kumar Lecturer (Sr.G) attended 2 weeks AICTE programme on "Modern Garment Technology","Fashion Designing & Technology" Bannari Amman Institute of Technology, Sathyamangalam.
12. Mr. R.Senthil Kumar Lecturer (Sr.G) attended "TEQIP" - Intellectual Infrastructure Development Programme at Govt. College of Technology , Salem from 18/12/2012 to 24/12/2012.
13. Mr. R.Senthil Kumar Lecturer (Sr.G) attended "TEQIP" - Processing and Application of Composite Materials at Govt. College of Engineering , Bargur from 21/06/2013 to 27/06/2013.
Achieved third prize for project work among the Textile and Allied Departments of our institution.
PAPER PRESENTATION & PUBLICATIONS – TRAINING : STAFF
1.Undertaken Industrial consultancy services.
2.Periodical Guest Lecture programme from industrial experts for the benefit of students.
3.Many of our staff members presented Guest Lecture on Garment/Fashion related courses in all the nearby Arts and Science colleges.
4.Our staff members have improved their qualifications through various correspondence part time courses.
5.Our staff members presented Technical papers in National and State Conferences and Published articles in leading Textile Magazines.
6.Subject oriented Technical training like Export Garment Manufacturing/ Embroidery Design Development and Machine Operator/ Fashion Design software/ Garment Pattern Making and Grading software/ Knitting Machine Operation and Maintenance is given to our staff members through the Industries.
7.Contributed as member in Syllabus Committee, Directorate of Technical Education - K & L Schemes, Contributed as Placement Officer, Con. Ed. Manager of CIICP
1. Won prizes for Fashion show and Designer contest through external participation.